Why is it Important to Have a Memorable Brand Identity?
Posted: April 17, 2019 | Author: Ankit Sahu
A brand is remembered for a high-quality product, excellent service, fine care and most importantly a strong brand identity.
Brand identity is how the brand wants to present itself in the marketplace and the way it wants to be perceived by the existing and prospective customers. Brand identity is how the business feels that it should be perceived by the customers. In other words, brand identity is applying business values to visual and verbal communication.
For example, Airbnb’s brand identity is all about active living. Through their lively imagery and bold pink logo, Airbnb encourages people to make the most of life and use Airbnb to do it.
Image source: Airbnb official site
Why is brand identity important?
Because brands want repeat customers. And it is only possible if the brand has a good impression on customers and it triggers positive experiences from the past. Let’s see some more benefits:
- Brand Identity sets the tone of your brand. It can be used to evoke specific feelings in your audience. An easy to communicate brand can smoothly deliver overall company message and promote business goals.
- Consistent business material designs build customer trust in the brand. It means that consistent brand design showcases honesty and positive brand value.
- A brand identity helps you to differentiate your business from the competition and appropriately position your brand.
- An effective brand identity can help to build customer loyalty and trust in a brand since it allows customers to make a connection between a product and the company.
- Strong identities make employees proud and it also gives customers a sense of ownership.
Being a part of brand strategy, identity plays a vital role in defining what a brand stands for.
A great first impression is a lasting impression
First impressions are an absolute necessity for any brand. According to a study conducted by the Missouri University of Science and Technology, it takes less than 0.2 seconds for a visitor to make an opinion about a brand. Hence, a lasting first impression becomes essential. Because you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Let’s look at 2 such examples of Indian brands to understand it better.
1. Frooti, an Indian mango drink, has always used a mango-yellow branding for its packaging. So, when the brand made its debut on social media, it carried the same color and appearance to create visual content.
Image source: Frooti Official site
2. Shoppers Stop, an Indian retail company, positioned itself as a premium, accessible luxury brand. They came up with a tagline, “Start something new”. This position of bridge-to-luxury appealed young, middle-class consumers in India, who had their own money to spend at a young age.
Image source: Shoppers Stop
Strongest brands are those that have a recognizable identity and share-ability
While many consumers take the time to research and compare options, others choose whatever they happen to recognize. It is for this reason; established companies like Apple, Pepsi, and Domino’s Pizza spend billions a year on advertising.
You might not have billions to spend but you can still employ some tactics in order to build a robust brand recognition.
Brand recognition is created by the accumulation of experiences with the specific product or service, both directly relating to its use, and through the influence of advertising, design, and media commentary.
For example, Dropbox features a vibrant, colorful identity. It conveys a sense of endless creativity to match the brand’s ever-evolving toolkit. The same identity is followed in their communication, services, and products on all platforms and in internal & external communication.
Related Read - Can Complicated "Designs" be simplified?
Identities that create a fan following
In order to create a strong brand identity, keen research and attention to detail are required. A brand image has to be created in such a way that it successfully meets the goals of a business and emotionally connects with the customers. Strong brand identities play a significant role in creating a memorable brand experience and only a memorable brand experience can create fans. Here are the top 5 global examples of brand identity creation:
Image source: Coca Cola Official Site
Image source: LG Official Site
Image source: Hyundai Official Site
Image source: Apple Official Site
Image source: Raymond Official Site
The motive here is to show that these brands have such a valuable brand identity that anyone in the world who looks at the associated brand elements is immediately able to recognize the company. That’s the real power of brand identity!